[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Modelling bits for 3d printing
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Modelling bits for 3d printing

Projects using digital modelling and 3D printing

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Weaponpacks

Postby FearGFX » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:12 pm

I like the new detail on the teeth!
but on matter what side the wheel spins, it will kick either up or down unless you counter the kick with a balance. Islacrusez mentions it being mounted on the wielders forearm and having the engine behind the elbow... this makes it bigger but should make it more balanced
FearGFX
Casual

Postby Malika » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:25 pm

Hmm, but isn't this the same kind of designflaw that weapons such as Chainswords and Chainaxes have?

I would basically need some sort of 'counter weight' at the back right?
- the place to be for all your bits needs!
Malika
Junkie

Postby Islacrusez » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:32 pm

Chainswords and Chainaxes tend, at least in my understanding, to be used in slashing motions, which will counter a lot of the kick if the rotation of the chain is opposite to the swing (ie, if you put it on the ground and turned it on, it would scurry away from you*) and also dish out a lot more damage. A hand-held grinder type configuration you have is better suited to control than to striking (ie, it's a tool config). Of course if you want it as an improvised weapon, that's perfect.

If you wanted it as a designed weapon, as mentioned it could be of the missing-arm type, or gripped in the same way (this way bulkier though). Another option is to move the foregrip directly behind the blade (totally safe, I know) and move the blade forward to accommodate it (ie, move the grip along its own axis into the centre of the weapon, and move the blade forward out of its way. This would allow for a lot more force to be applied courtesy of the lever effect caused by the configuration, which would also be used to control the kick. A slightly longer weapon is also better for swinging in this way.

If you really want to go mad, do two overlapping blades rotating opposite directions; if oriented horizontally they'd make an excellent weapon against unarmoured foes. Making this look right will probably involve cheating, making the blades only 1.5x the thickness where they overlap and 1x their own thickness where they don't, as the blades would probably be somewhat thinner but you're limited by how thin you can make the part for safe printing/casting
Islacrusez
Habit

Postby FearGFX » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:50 am

FearGFX
Casual

Postby Malika » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:53 am

Hmm, so a double bladed weapon? That might be doable I guess, but I think it might be a bit annoying with printing/casting, unless I make two separate wheels. Which will be quite the challenge to keep them thin enough as well.

But let me give it a shot!
Malika
Junkie

Postby Islacrusez » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:33 am

Islacrusez
Habit

Postby Malika » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:24 am

Malika
Junkie

Postby Islacrusez » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:31 am

I was aiming for a more OO arrangement, partially overlapping. The whole thing would only be 1.5x the thickness of a single blade, possibly.

Not sure how best to explain it; might draw you a picture.
Islacrusez
Habit

Postby mangozac » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:16 am

Guys I wouldn't get too concerned about the actual physics of this thing. Just go with rule of cool!

I personally think the engine hanging off the end as a counterbalance won't look nearly as good as the current layout.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Islacrusez » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:53 am

Did you just rule of cool something that someone else hasn't even created yet?
Islacrusez
Habit

Postby Malika » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:35 am

I think I'm gonna go with Mangozac's advice for this one. No need to overcomplicate things here, especially considering these are supposed to be simple kits. A double blade will lead to all sorts of difficulties with casting/printing.

However, I am planning on making more of these weapons, so the dual blade will most likely make a comeback.
Malika
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:43 am

Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Islacrusez » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:20 am

I'll just have to make my own then... Except I have a corvette to finish first... I'm just addicted to EVE for the time being.
Islacrusez
Habit

Postby Malika » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:46 pm

Small update:

The first wheels (3cm diameter and 1.5cm diameter) are available on Shapeways: .

The entire device will be ready in the coming days. :)
Malika
Junkie

Postby Malika » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:31 am

Look what else is

Malika
Junkie

PreviousNext

Return to Digital Modelling