[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Modelling bits for 3d printing
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Modelling bits for 3d printing

Projects using digital modelling and 3D printing

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Modelling bits for 3d printing

Postby mangozac » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:49 am

Pretty sure he's referring to the overall head shape. I agree ;)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Malika » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:56 pm

Hmm, I could tweak that if it's too unnatural. MakeHuman basically allows me to make any kind of head. :)
- the place to be for all your bits needs!
Malika
Junkie

Postby Islacrusez » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:37 pm

The top of the head is pretty square, as is the jaw. There's also a really large and deep cavity between jaw and cheek bones... Try tweaking those and we might have something ^^
Islacrusez
Habit

Postby mangozac » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:59 pm

I just thought he was aiming for an Admech style malnourished human look :P
mangozac

Postby Islacrusez » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:05 pm

:P It does accentuate the square jaw though, and that in turn makes the square top make the whole thing look square ^^
Islacrusez
Habit

Postby Malika » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:39 am

I've got a feeling it's the lack of hair that makes the head feel overly square. But then again, 'square' heads aren't that unnatural, look at Olivia Wilde for example!

Malika
Junkie

Postby Islacrusez » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:06 am

ImageImage

Check out that non-square jaw though, and her head isn't all that square either from where I'm looking.
Islacrusez
Habit

Postby mangozac » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:25 am

The square jaw isn't a big issue - it's a fairly standard look for a "tough" stereotype. It's the top of the head that's too square. I think the sunken cheeks exacerbate the problem too.

Oh and Olivia Wilde was a bad choice to prove your point. She has strong features but like Islacrusez I wouldn't call them square.
mangozac

Postby Munkey Joe » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:07 pm

I think your "problem" might be solved by keeping a brow ridge and sloping the forehead back some... and agree the cheeks make it look worse than it is... Here is some of my signature google links to illustrate what I'm saying...

now to this

Keeping a Heavy brow and exagerrating that might help round out the rest for you.
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby Fleafa » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:44 pm

Yeah, I meant the top of the head. For miniatures, you definitely need to go for caricature rather than realism, but good caricature is based on real anatomical landmarks.
Check this place out:
http://www.anatomy4sculptors.com/?menu=9#body
Amazing reference material.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Malika » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:28 pm

Since my more Space Hulk oriented stuff will undergo a serious redesign to make it produceable, I decided to take the components I've built so far, and play with them a bit. After putting them together and shrinking them I realized I could then them into Epic scale buildings.

What I've got here is rather easy to reproduce, the panels are 50mm x 50mm, and I'm working with a two-part system, meaning I'd only have a roof and wall part. A future expansion would be a wall part with no door in it so you could build higher structures.

Let me know what you think:

Malika
Junkie

Postby Malika » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:21 am

Tweaked the design so it's a bit more print/cast friendly. Also moved the windows a bit so that each floor would have four 36 square meter apartments. Note that model is scaled 1:300, meaning a 36 square meter apartment in this model is 20mm x 20mm.

Malika
Junkie

Postby Malika » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:06 pm

Playing a bit more with the design, and introduced a third part (top five floors):

Malika
Junkie

Postby Malika » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:34 pm

Ok, been playing with it a bit more, and designed a wall variant. Had to redo the windows on the previous panels in order to make them compatible with this new one.

I noticed that I'm slowly moving into the realm of and , which is more fitting for pre and early Imperial days, the whole Gothic thing combined with the skulls came later anyways!
Malika
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:04 pm

These latest ones look a lot better - you need to have some variations at different levels to give some visual interest.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to print one sample of each tile, mould and cast enough to make a wall, make a giant mould of that and then reproduce entire walls in polyurethane foam. I'm not sure how economical it would be. I think a few of this style building would suit a "newer" Imperial city quite nicely.
mangozac

PreviousNext

Return to Digital Modelling