[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Modelling bits for 3d printing
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Modelling bits for 3d printing

Projects using digital modelling and 3D printing

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Weaponpacks

Postby Malika » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:23 pm

Started working on some spiked gauntlets:
Single pair: http://shpws.me/prlf
Five pairs: http://shpws.me/prml
- the place to be for all your bits needs!
Malika
Junkie

Postby Malika » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:06 pm

I've tweaked the buzz saw weapon[ a bit to make it more print friendly.

Malika
Junkie

Postby Malika » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:28 am

I started working on some swords, twenty different kinds, each with its own engravings in the blade.

Sadly enough the 3d printer can't handle the level of detail, so sadly enough the swords will have to be without the engravings. This means the swords will need some serious redesigning...

ImageImage
Malika
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:38 pm

You really love those eagle heads don't you :P

Even if you used a printer that would do the resolution required for the text, by the time a layer of paint or two gets added there will barely be anything left of it :(
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Malika » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:00 pm

Exactly, all the details would be gone anyways. I think that's the major flaw in my designs so far. Sketchup makes it very easy to go really detailed, but the problem with designing miniatures digitally is that you kinda lose grasp of what is possible and what isn't.
Malika
Junkie

Postby FearGFX » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:49 pm

Well by using my airbrush i think that shouldnt be a problem
FearGFX
Casual

Postby mangozac » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:55 pm

The only way to find out would be to print it and try. This is why I urge you to stop designing things until you've done a few prints and have a better handle on what does and doesn't work.
mangozac

Postby Malika » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:07 pm

I've printed the Legion ship at Shapeways, it will arrive at my house in the coming days. It has some stuff details that are 0.2mm. I can then have a grasp of what it will look like.

However, I'd prefer to work with better printers, such as the ones used by or . Thing with those is that just doing 'a quick' print isn't really an option. However, Shapeways should provide the possibility to experiment a bit, see what kind of detail would or wouldn't work.
Malika
Junkie

Re: Modelling bits for 3d printing

Postby Malika » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:44 pm

Epic scale terrain time!

Still very WIP. The roof component will need detailing, and I'm tempted to remove the pyramid like thing.

It's going to be a multipart kit, each 'level' is 5 stories high (which translates as 5cm high)
Malika
Junkie

Postby Malika » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:10 am

As a tribute to by , I've quickly put together some Scrapfleet turret kits, which are now available on Bits Blitz:

Heavy Turrets:
Comes in a set of 10 turrets. Each one of them is 11.84mm x 7.08mm x 8.7mm. You can get them .

Light Turrets:
Comes in a set of 10 turrets. Each one of them is 10.12mm x 5.86mm x 4.52mm. You can get them .
Malika
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:47 am

Wow thanks for the link - Gun-Wuz is doing awesome work!
mangozac

Postby Malika » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:52 pm

Monkeytroll over at DakkaDakka ordered and painted my Buzz Saw and Spiked Gauntlets (Frosted Ultra Detail):
Malika
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:55 pm

Great to finally see some prints, but this reinforces my opinion that for finely detailed miniatures parts Shapeways FUD often really isn't very appropriate. It works well for some things, but others not so much :(
mangozac

Postby Malika » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:19 pm

I know what you mean. The more I look at it, the more I see Shapeways as a temporary thing. My spaceships for example will definitely not be done through Shapeways but through another company.

In the longer run, once my designs also improve, I'd need to start selling them through another company, or I should then simply to some commission/freelance jobs or something. :)
Malika
Junkie

Postby Fleafa » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:26 pm

Check out Sculpteo for wax printing. Obviously need to be cast in resin :)

Fleafa
Junkie

PreviousNext

Return to Digital Modelling