[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Designing ships [possible BFG scale]
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Designing ships [possible BFG scale]

Projects using digital modelling and 3D printing

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Designing ships [possible BFG scale]

Postby Islacrusez » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:18 am

At 37mm long, I absolutely cannot hollow out my ships, they're too damn small :P
Islacrusez
Habit

Postby Malika » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:23 am

What is the ship's width and height? Thing with mine is that it's 24mm wide and 11mm tall, hollowing it out would then be a thin strip through the middle, not that significant I think.
- the place to be for all your bits needs!
Malika
Junkie

Postby Deadmeat30 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:24 am

Hollowing out a peice that size won't make it much cheaper to print. But could cause problems when casting. My advise is to keep it solid.

Deadmeat30
Habit

Postby mangozac » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:34 am

Hollowing out would save a little on printing costs (at least from places like Shapeways). You then just fill it with putty when it comes time to mould and cast them.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Malika » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:55 pm

I've decided to no longer print it at shapeways but to use another service, who exactly I don't know yet, but the price will go up then. Hollowing it out might save me a bit then.
Malika
Junkie

Postby Blindhorizon » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:07 pm

Talk to deadmeat30 on this forum. Keep it in the family if the price is right.
Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby Malika » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:45 pm

I've already spoken to him yeah. :) Just need to figure out how to make the design right enough for printing/casting/etc.
Malika
Junkie

Postby FearGFX » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:42 pm

Id love some of those modules with like hexagon cornerpieces! that way you can make a pretty awesome space station!
FearGFX
Casual

Postby Malika » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:58 pm

Space stations huh? I have been pondering a bit about that, but I would imagine most stations to be a bit bigger than that. They would still need to be able to include . :mrgreen:
Malika
Junkie

Postby Malika » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:44 am

Been working on a prow variant. It's still very WIP, meaning that a lot of the details need to be added to it so it fits with the rest of the ship.

Malika
Junkie

Postby Islacrusez » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:48 am

Interesting concept... Not unheard of in the realm of warships, but generally it was used for much smaller weapons, not the heaviest armament... I'm curious to see how you'll develop this one!
Islacrusez
Habit

Postby mangozac » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:47 am

I don't mind the design, my only reservation is that I feel the entire ship is starting to look a bit silly how long it is :/
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Malika » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:46 pm

How do you mean? The prow is based on the original torpedo one, the only thing sticking out are the two inner cannons.
Malika
Junkie

Postby FearGFX » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:32 pm

I like the idea a lot but i would rather see them as "fixed" forward weapons then the turret feel they have now... just looks like a serious weak point now... kind of like firing a weapon might knock off the turret...

and about the spacestation.. im not saying it will be cheap... but have 3 sections on each side connected with a cornerpiece...

it could be like corner, storage, heavy plasma guns, storage, corner, light guns, hanger, light guns, corner... etc...
FearGFX
Casual

Postby FearGFX » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:34 pm

and it would kind of make sense that if you have modular ships and you want stations in style that using those same modules for your space station...
FearGFX
Casual

PreviousNext

Return to Digital Modelling