[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Designing ships [possible BFG scale]
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Designing ships [possible BFG scale]

Projects using digital modelling and 3D printing

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Designing ships [possible BFG scale]

Postby Malika » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:43 pm

Need to rethink the thrusters a bit, whilst leaving them bare is the easiest solution, there is something 'empty' about them. :(

Regarding the printing of the turrets, that's actually really a good idea! It's a cheap and easy way to see if the details will work.
- the place to be for all your bits needs!
Malika
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:50 am

Don't sound so surprised that I had a good idea :P

You could perhaps have some kind of etched or raised lines on the inner sides of the engines? And what about some kind of mesh shape on the rear wall of them?
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Malika » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:57 pm

I'll try that!

In the meanwhile, updated the plasma batteries a bit:
Malika
Junkie

Postby Islacrusez » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:03 pm

Hmmm... Too much I think... If you want them longer, try half the difference. I think the old ones were a fine length.
Islacrusez
Habit

Postby Malika » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:17 pm

I see what you mean, I think it needs to be shortened by 20% or something.
Malika
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:45 am

Go back to the original length - it was perfect!
mangozac

Postby Malika » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:20 pm

They've been shortened a bit, check it out. Still think the original was better?

The original one did have something intense about it. Let me ponder some more about it!
Malika
Junkie

Postby FearGFX » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:32 am

To be honest i think the original size was still better then the current size!
The idea is great though! will the guns be seperate pieces or printed onto the hull?

and of course the most important fact imo... will you sell it when your done designing it?
FearGFX
Casual

Postby Malika » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:21 am

I need to ponder a bit about the turrets, the original size does look better I think. However, do you think such a short turret is convincing as a long range weapon? The guns are separate pieces by the way.

As for production and distribution. I am eventually planning on getting them cast and sold. At the moment I'm looking for the best way to do it. I have found a few options who are very interesting. The only thing kind of 'holding me back' are the costs at the moment. If I had some more money I wouldn't mind taking such a risk, but at the moment my income is practically nothing, which kinda complicates things.
Malika
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:31 am

Seriously man, stop stressing about insignificant things like whether the length of the gun barrels suits the range. They looked best shorter and that's all that matters!

Production is very difficult if doing it yourself is not an option.
mangozac

Postby Islacrusez » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:58 am

If it really bugs you, have some long-barrel weapons for your long-rangers, and have your plasmas melt through armour and be your armour penetrators. Plasma weapons, 'nuff said.
Islacrusez
Habit

Postby Blindhorizon » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:46 pm

I must echo mango's sentiment, don't sweat the small stuff it looks good.

As far as the the money concern, do pre sales, make an agreement with a caster, do a kickstarter or just a small crowd funding with people to cover the costs of making mastering and molding and casting of the sold items. Keep in mind you only really need to print 1 of each turret if funds are that tight, or for the hull hollow it out and make it two pieces so printing is cheaper.

And lets be honest, you obviously have some skill at creating in a 3d program, do some side work utilizing your skill set. People are on the lookout for someone that can do what you do. I can't do it so i hire people who can.
Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby FearGFX » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:16 pm

I second what Zak says!
And to be honest, it just needs to hurl it into space... plasma is sort of a projectile so range in space is not an issue...
FearGFX
Casual

Postby mangozac » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:52 pm

mangozac

Postby Malika » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:48 am

@Mangozac: You know what, you're right about the design of the turrets. The original was the best.

However, I am concerned whether certain aspects of the ship would 'realistically' work. Whilst it is scifi, it should still be more or less physically possible, otherwise we get . :lol:

@Islacrusez: It would make sense, I would also need a ship that can pack quite the punch at closer range as well. Maybe I shouldn't make things more complicated than they'd need be and have the normal double barreled turrets on the tops and bottoms of the components be the long ranged weapons. Could even make it an option to have the turret component armed with only those turrets. :)

@Blindhorizon: I'm not sure if hollowing out the model will make that much of a change. I've been reading that a wall thickness of around 2mm is recommended, which would mean that all in all it wouldn't save that much. But I might look into that again. As for the 3d work, I've sent you a PM. ;)

@Islacrusez (again): Have you hollowed out your ships as well?
Malika
Junkie

PreviousNext

Return to Digital Modelling