[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Designing ships [possible BFG scale]
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Designing ships [possible BFG scale]

Projects using digital modelling and 3D printing

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Designing ships [possible BFG scale]

Postby Malika » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:01 pm

- the place to be for all your bits needs!
Malika
Junkie

Postby Blindhorizon » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:23 pm

Forgeworld in my opinion probably pulls their miniatures out of the mold and drops them in a bucket of the same miniature. If they aren't laid out to fully cure they conform to their surroundings. Your ship is also very thick, and would not suffer from the thinner parts.

Blind-
Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby mangozac » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:26 pm

Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby FearGFX » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:59 am

center of gravity shouldn't be a problem in space...
FearGFX
Casual

Postby Malika » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:56 am

In the meantime, a complete view of the carrier.

Malika
Junkie

Postby Islacrusez » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:35 am

Islacrusez
Habit

Postby mangozac » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:34 pm

Centre of gravity is the wrong term in this context. It's the centre of mass that is important ;)
mangozac

Postby Islacrusez » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:31 pm

Islacrusez
Habit

Postby Malika » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:47 pm

Here an update on the thrusters.

Want to do some extra details, but these would be so small that it might be a bit too tiny to do them.
Malika
Junkie

Postby Malika » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:41 am

In the meantime (I love saying that) I started working on the anti armor turrets. At first I was planning on making a 'sniper turret', which would have been a single long barreled device. However, the sizes we are dealing with here are super small, meaning that such a barrel would become very frail. I tried making it thicker, but it ended up looking ridiculous. So I came up with something different: PLASMA TURRETS! They are quite detailed, and I really wonder if the print will be able to show that, or that people could even see it at such a scale.

Malika
Junkie

Postby Islacrusez » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:03 am

I said it over there, but I'll say it over here too... LOVE THOSE GUNS

Also, you know you can smooth edges by holding control (I think; maybe shift...) while using the eraser? You can smooth curved edges back into curves (for the benefit of lighting/rendering at least) that way. Thinking especially for the barrel ends on the twins.
Islacrusez
Habit

Postby Malika » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:17 am

Thanks for the suggestion! :D I tried it, but it only seems to remove the black lines whilst keeping the shape. But I managed to do it with the follow button though! :) However, I doubt you'll be able to see it on the model, it's like 0.05mm!
Malika
Junkie

Postby Islacrusez » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:43 am

Since there's no such thing as a curve in sketchup, it's what it was supposed to do. I'm now curious what you managed to do :P
Islacrusez
Habit

Postby Malika » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:11 am

Here are the curves:

I also put some stuff between the two barrels, making it easier to cast:

(note: I added that block before I rounded up the edges)
Malika
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:03 am

While the "baffles" in the engines look good, I don't think they're appropriate for the scale of this ship. IMO just make the engines bare inside.

Love the plasma turret design - just not sure how well it's going to reproduce at this scale! Certainly the block between them is a good idea. Maybe you should get the printer to do a test of just a couple of the turrets ASAP. That will give you a really good feel for how well the details print and whether you need to modify the rest of the model...
mangozac

PreviousNext

Return to Digital Modelling