[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Polyurethane resin storage containers.
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Polyurethane resin storage containers.

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Polyurethane resin storage containers.

Postby TomGuadalupe » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:15 am

I recently picked up a 1 gallon unit of smooth-on task 4 and was disappointed to see that it shipped in buckets much like their silicone.

I really hate dispensing things from those buckets it is unruly and it makes a mess.

Can I move the resin to clean and dried out gallon water bottles?

The types of plastic in this case are both type 2 but I am worried that the water bottle plastic is too thin.

What is everyone else storing and dispensing their resin from?

Do I need to worry about plastic type when moving this resin to other containers?
TomGuadalupe
Casual

Re: Polyurethane resin storage containers.

Postby rattrap » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:15 am

rattrap
Casual

Postby SSB » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:01 am

Si Dieu existe, j'espère qu'il a une bonne excuse !
SSB
User

Postby rattrap » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:49 am

They are HDPE plastic bottles, you can get them in various sizes. I use two, one for part A and one for part B. I use them instead of pouring from the containers the resin came in to make mixing easier. The tops are child safe, and air tight, and I have had no problems with them so far.
rattrap
Casual

Postby SSB » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:09 am

Ok !
I do the same thing... ;)

More generally I am helped by that chart when I ask myself these kind of questions...

Si Dieu existe, j'espère qu'il a une bonne excuse !
SSB
User

Postby rattrap » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:30 am

Interesting chart!

Unless I have missed something, it appears using them, they are fine for resin.
rattrap
Casual

Postby TomGuadalupe » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:52 am

Thanks for the info guys, I have gone with the HDPE plastic bottles and they are working well.
TomGuadalupe
Casual

Postby mangozac » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:33 pm

Interesting discussion. Thanks for the table, SSB - it's quite informative. Although for reference, what are the unmixed polyurethane components classed as? I thought they were hydrocarbon based, and thus according to the table HDPE wouldn't be a good match (even though I know it is).
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Fleafa » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:09 pm

All the PU I have ever ordered has been delivered in HDPE containers, so I figured the wide-necked bottles I use would be OK :)

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby plaything » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:56 am

I have the same problem, resin in giant almost unliftable containers.

I've bought some old shampoo bottles with pump dispensers, not used them yet, but am hopeful…

Have a load of them going spare too, if anyone wants them let know, if you're happy to pay postage they're yours
plaything
Casual

Postby Nostok » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:41 am

I use large sauce bottles like you get in diners for the ketchup and mustard.
Nostok
Casual

Return to Dr Polymer