[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Designing ships [possible BFG scale]
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Designing ships [possible BFG scale]

Projects using digital modelling and 3D printing

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Designing ships [possible BFG scale]

Postby Blindhorizon » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:48 am

Good to see something finally printed with this. perhaps make the turrets peinted separetly from the body and use a better detail print for the turrets? Looking good so far though, how long is this thing?
Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby Malika » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:06 am

- the place to be for all your bits needs!
Malika
Junkie

Postby Malika » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:36 am

INCOMING!!!

Malika
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:42 am

Great to finally see a print, although I'm a little disappointed that you didn't do it in a better material like FUD, as that would have given you a much clearer idea of exactly what was required. I suspect that you would have gotten results acceptable enough to cast from using FUD.

The fitting together of the parts is tolerance, and something that should always be accounted for when designing such features ;)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Malika » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:11 pm

FUD would have costed me around €100, which is a bit too expensive for a mere test print. FUD (but preferable HTM140) would be the next step. I noticed that even FUD tends to be not that smooth, according to Shapeways I should then use the polished plastics, but that would mean that some of the details would be smoothened out.

As for the tolerance thing: it's another lesson learnt! :mrgreen:
Malika
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:47 am

Really that much? Wow it does get expensive! I agree that the FUD may have needed an extra step of polishing and at these sizes it may be more economical to go with another, better quality material.
mangozac

Postby Blindhorizon » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:03 am

How long is that model? And from the looks of it the model looks fine to cast with that printing. What i was saying before is you should just redo the turrets in fud those will be super cheap to print and then people will be able to have them point whatever direction and they will have more detail.
Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby Malika » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:54 pm

Malika
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:50 pm

mangozac

Postby Malika » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:35 pm

Hmm, I might look into that.

Also, I've asked a quote from , the ship in HTM140 (which immediately can function as a master) would cost around €350/$483, apparently it also doesn't matter (pricewise that is) if the design is hollowed out or not.

Sanding, even if it's with sanding sticks is a very...very precise job, especially on this scale and with this level of detail. Potentially ruining a €120/$160 (I recalculated the costs) model is a risk I'm not that willing to take.

However, I should also be checking some other printing services who offer HTM140 and see how much they'd charge for such a project, perhaps I can get is slightly cheaper.
Malika
Junkie

Postby Fleafa » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:50 pm

Hollowing the design would make a FUD print considerably cheaper. There can be some roughness with FUD, but I find it is generally up to standard for casting.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Malika » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:18 pm

Malika
Junkie

Postby Malika » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:44 pm

The boarding pods are ready! :) I slightly tweaked the previous picture (rotated it 45 degrees for example), since there were some difficulties with preparing it for printing. It's a tiny bugger, about 6.5mm long, 4mm high, and 4mm wide.

Front view:

Back view:
Malika
Junkie

Postby Malika » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:58 am

Been doing some more work on the battleship, added the big turrets. Do note that the hull will still need a lot of work to make it all work. I've tried to stick to the original as much as possible, but it can become a bit of a challenge, especially since I want both the ability to fire all turrets in the same direction (depending on which side of the hull you are of course), but not have the heights of the different segments differ too much. Hence, I moved the second components' turrets on the diagonal panels, and added some extra levels to heighten up the turrets on the components closest to the Distortion Engine so they won't hit the turrets on the front if firing forwards.

Malika
Junkie

Postby Islacrusez » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:26 am

No time to dissect, but I like the layout. Not sure about the turrets themselves (minor gripe at best), will get back to you on that.
Islacrusez
Habit

PreviousNext

Return to Digital Modelling