[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - The way I make money to feed my hobby needs.
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

The way I make money to feed my hobby needs.

Found an interesting kit in resin or plastic? Want to review a kit you've just bought? Share it with us here!

Moderator: Wardens

The way I make money to feed my hobby needs.

Postby REDEATH » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:21 am

Personally I have resorted to buying GW kits and Magnetizing them then reselling to make a profit to be able to afford the models I want to buy for my armies and collections. Example I buy a $50 box of chaos terminators (for $40 a 20% discount from thewarstore) and magnetize all the Weapon Arms to the Torsos, Torsos to Legs, and Heads to Torsos then I resell it for $100 . They do sell I cant make Magnetized sets fast enough. But I only do it when I need more hobby funds.

People buy them because they like the flexibility and customization of being able to change their models looks, poses, and load outs with out having to have to spend another $50 to buy another set because you made all Close Combat Terminators and decided you don't like that play style anymore and wanted to kit them out for more ranged attacks.

Personally I love to magnetize most of my models...sometimes to extremes you can see what I have been doing to my Death Guard army here...http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthrea ... ost5718512

Now on the topic of personal recasting of bits for conversions and stuff I think its perfectly fine and legal as long as you are not doing it to sell or make a profit...that is the turning point where it really becomes illegal.
REDEATH
Casual

Re: The way I make money to feed my hobby needs.

Postby Fleafa » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:39 pm

Does the $60 profit work out at as decent hourly pay? If so, you could get a trade account yourself and increase that profit. Minimum order, of course.

Fleafa
Junkie

Re: The way I make money to feed my hobby needs.

Postby REDEATH » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:40 am

Nah I do it leisurely. I do more conversion work than painting. Typically I'll do up a for magnetized sale set while I am working on my own stuff which is never ending since I just can't seem to stop thinking up new ways to do more conversions on my own models....like now I am working on some nice Khorne Daemonkin Berserker Marines (Using the new AoS Khorne Bloodbound plastic and the ForgeWorld World Eater conversion set) that I will use as Berserker Champions and I plan on making two Khorne CSM Lords mounted on Juggernauts with with all the possible options magnetized (I am making two b/c one I will keep for myself and one I will sell to fund more projects)
REDEATH
Casual

Return to Kit Finds & Reviews