[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - CA Technologies - Pressure Pot : A Review
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

CA Technologies - Pressure Pot : A Review

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Re: CA Technologies - Pressure Pot : A Review

Postby factor40 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:30 am

The parts I labeled in the second picture were all purchased at Home Depot. They will cost you about $25-$30. I did not use the included 3-way regulator.

I don't know the size off the top of my head. Again, go to HomeDepot.com and look up Air Compressor Accessories. They have starter kits and whatnot there.

-Steve

factor40
Habit

Postby Beo » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:45 am

Thank you :)
Beo
Casual

Postby astronut » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:50 am

Hi all,
Factor 40 your suggestions & instructions have been great! I'm a complete newbie and would have been seriously in the dark without them. (I've only molded and cast w/out pressure or vacuum).

I have a few follow up questions for getting the rest of what I need before I can start... I have my CA Air Tools compressor and my CA Tech pressure chamber (see below).

I believe all I need is the hose for the compressor and also the pressure gauge you posted here. Would you all suggest getting this pack?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Workforce-16 ... /202352034

or maybe these buy these two together?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1-4-in ... /100072735
http://www.homedepot.com/p/California-A ... /205214068

Like I said I'm a complete newbie and want to get the best tools for the job so I can get the best molds and casts that I can.

Thanks!
astronut
Casual

Postby factor40 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:00 am

I would go with the second set of options you listed there. Looks like that would cover it, I would also recommend some teflon tape or plumber's tape to wrap a few times around the connections to make them airtight.

factor40
Habit

Postby mangozac » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:27 am

Nice start, Astronut!

Is there a reason why you need another gauge/regulator? The compressor has a regulator on board and the CA pot has a gauge on it. All you need is an air hose and quick connect fittings as per your bottom link.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby factor40 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:33 am

Zac is correct on that. What i suggested to you was merely what I purchased myself.

factor40
Habit

Postby astronut » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:24 am

Thanks Factor40 and Mangozac! I'll pick up the CA Air Tools accessory kit and the teflon tape then :)

The gauge that came with the CA Tech pot has two places to attach the hose. Do I need to plug the unused side up?
astronut
Casual

Postby mangozac » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:50 am

I wouldn't think so - they should be one-way valves. Try blowing into one of them and see if anything comes out the other side :P
mangozac

Postby Nutso » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:16 pm

Hello guys,

I'm a pretty extreme long time lurker and figured I'd come in from the cold and maybe contribute something to a forum that has given me so much help over the past years.

I, as many others, started with a converted Harbor Freight paint pressure pot. While I had no issues with any catastrophic failures with mine I decided to replace it with the CA Technologies pressure pot when I needed a second one. I bought a couple of these CA Technologies pressure pots just over a year ago and have been using them with great success ever since. A big improvement and gives me a little more peace of mind when it comes to safety.

Here they are on a custom built casting table. I did not like having the pots on the ground with the casters on since they rolled and turned too easily when you tighten/loosen the wingnuts. I took the casters off and built this table so that I could bring them up so I don't have to lean down to use them and it is much easier to tighten/loosen the lid. The gap between them is so I can put the lid somewhere while I am loading/unloading the pot. The table has casters that can be lowered down so I can slide it under the workbench when I'm done casting for the day.

While you can use it with little to no modification I chose to do some simple (to me at least) changes. I took the entire tree structure with the regulator and pressure gauge off from the "AIR INLET" side. In it's place, I put a large ball valve and quick disconnect for the incoming air hose. Their air release valve in the appropriately labelled "AIR RELEASE VALVE" side is pretty darn useless so I pulled it off entirely and put the pressure gauge (once removed from the regulator tree) in it's place. The small ball valve that comes with the pressure pot on the "FLUID OUTLET" side is just too small and has little leverage. It is fine for the occasional usage if this were still a paint pot but for repeated usage day after day I replaced it with a larger ball valve (same one as I use for the incoming air hose) and the difference is night and day.

The adhesive that they use for the seal didn't hold the seal in place at all. I had to get a good contact adhesive to keep it from falling out after a short time. Since re-adhering the seal, it has not come out once in over a year.

I can't be happier with these and I will be getting one or two more by year's end. I am also looking at getting one of the larger capacity ones that I will mount on it's side to accommodate larger molds.
Nutso
Casual

Postby mangozac » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:35 pm

Wow talk about first post with a bang! Welcome to RA, Nutso!

Are you doing commission casting or your own lines? I love the custom built table - the problem of the CA pots having wheels never occurred to me! My pots have always just sat on top of my workbench, although it's actually slightly too high.

Thanks for sharing!
mangozac

Postby Fleafa » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:41 pm

Having them lower down like that makes a lot of sense!

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby SSB » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:37 am

Si Dieu existe, j'espère qu'il a une bonne excuse !
SSB
User

Postby Nutso » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:00 pm

@mangozac:
I know most people here deal with miniatures but, while I do commission casting for others, my own work generally involves wargaming terrain pieces. People have been pushing me to sell my stuff and I've been considering starting a terrain business on the side.

@SSB:
I picked up a tube of Amazing Goop from the local hardware store (Home Depot in the United States). I'm not kidding, that's what it is called! It is very viscous, and doesn't run. After removing the seal, I used a disposable acid brush and brushed a thin layer on the entire inside of the lid's seal channel. I made sure I coated the sides of the U-shaped channel as well. Not all the way, but enough to equal the depth of the seal once in place. I then put a thin layer on just the one edge of the seal that faces the inside of the lid channel. After a few minutes to let it tack up, per the instructions on the tube, I put the seal back in. Some of the cement squeezed out the sides but was easily cleaned up with a rag. I then put the lid back on the pot and barely tightened it down. I left it for 24 hours and it was good to go.

In all honesty, I think I may have went overkill on the adhesive for the seal but it worked great for me.
Nutso
Casual

Postby SSB » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:06 pm

hum...
I looked for Amazing Goop. There are many different types...
http://www.eclecticproducts.com/ag_adhe ... poxies.htm

Any one in particular ?
Si Dieu existe, j'espère qu'il a une bonne excuse !
SSB
User

Postby Nutso » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:44 pm

@SSB:
I should have been more specific but to be honest I had no idea there were so many different types. I used the All Purpose one.
Nutso
Casual

PreviousNext

Return to Dr Polymer