[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Dystopian Wars Resin?
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Dystopian Wars Resin?

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Dystopian Wars Resin?

Postby Rexxthunder » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:26 am

Hey guys,

I'm fairly new to the casting arena. I've been using mostly the Micro-Mark stuff. I've been playing this game called Dystopian Wars. They cast their miniatures in this gray resin that looks like it's got a filler in it. I've also seen Games workshop use this stuff for their terrain props. Do you guys have any idea what this material is?

Thanks.

-Rexx
Rexxthunder
Casual

Re: Dystopian Wars Resin?

Postby Fleafa » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:18 am

Most likely polyurethane with whatever the cheapest filler they can get hold of at the time is. Maybe slate or talc.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:09 am

The grey colour of resins is generally just a pigment - I wouldn't expect them to be using filler on such small parts as the dystopian wars stuff. Filler makes the resin too viscous and thus harder to force into all of the crevices of the mould. I'd say it's ok for terrain pieces or big, thick parts lacking fine detail.

As Fleafa pointed out, if a company does use a filler it will often be slate or talc dust (whichever is cheapest).
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Munkey Joe » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:49 am

I have some DW stuff too and dooont think they are using "filler". its a very light wieght resin that is VERY good at picking up detail. I would compare it to the Privateer press new resin. Kinda like a "Poured plastic"......

now for what it is.... I dunno. I just use Aero-marine stuff Like I do for everything else...... :mrgreen:
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby paulson games » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:18 am

I've heard rumors that forge world uses smooth-on, people have reported seeing empty smooth-on drums out out back of the FW building. That type of volume indicates some serious volume casting. I've also noticed FW resin has pretty much the same material properties as the smooth-on resin I use, simular break points and heat tollerances etc.

The grey tone is acheived by mixing small amounts black pigment into the resin, my stuff is a pretty comperable shade to both FW and DW stuff.

Several companies do make micro beads which is basically a poly vinyl bubble/bead that helps fill up the internal volume of the item. I've also seen companies like Gale Force 9 and Battlefield-in-a-Box terrain uses low expanding foam inside their terrain which helps keep the resin cost down and also reduces the weight.

Basically what they do is use an open face mold to cast a resin shell, they pour some fast curing resin into the mold and keep swishing it around so they get all the face surfaces covered in resin maybe 1-2mm thick. Then they add filler into the large body areas making sure to level it off. Some companies leave the core exposed others give it an additional layer of resin to seal in the bottom.

Not really suitable for small minis but works great for reducing costs on terrain pieces.
paulson games

Postby Deadmeat30 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:19 am

Forge world use smooth on 65d. Thats confirmed :). I know this is my first post, but I've only just found this place.... I'm an addict, hehe.

Deadmeat30
Habit

Postby mangozac » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:07 am

Welcome Deadmeat. Can I ask how you came across that information?
mangozac

Postby Deadmeat30 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:26 am

Been told by an inside source. They use no filler, and black pigment. Its all pre measured in a mixing spout.

Deadmeat30
Habit

Postby mangozac » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:44 am

Ooooh inside sources. I like it! I see you're in Nottingham so are you just in with the FW crew or do you actually have a friend who works there?

Interesting that they use black pigment (as opposed to grey pigment like I use) - I guess it makes sense since only a small amount is required to make the resin grey.

A measuring/mixing spout would be great. I looked into getting one ages ago but the amount of casting I do was nowhere near enough to justify the cost.
mangozac

Postby Deadmeat30 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:12 am

Both.

I have found a product in the UK that holds similar properties to it.
Last edited by Deadmeat30 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deadmeat30
Habit

Postby blind pig » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:50 am

blind pig
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:05 am

Yep I use the . I do have some of the black (for something else I did for a friend who wanted black ages ago) and did try using it to get grey but found it too fiddly. It was easier to just buy the grey and dollop a random amount into the container :P
mangozac

Postby Anvils Hammer » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:17 am

Resin manufacturers, myself included, are all stuck in the cycle of "everyone else uses grey resin, so I need to as well"

Just think of the hassel that could be saved if every resin company jointly issued a global declation-

"Resin is off-white, get over it"

AH
Anvils Hammer
Habit

Postby mangozac » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:39 am

Yeah but I prefer grey resin for two reasons:
1. It's easier to photograph
2. More importantly, it's quicker and easier to inspect the casts for bubbles and other defects during production
mangozac

Postby Anvils Hammer » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:45 am

Both very good points!

It was a total nightmare when I was using white resin and not pressure casting stuff, quality control took forever..

You would think the companys producing the resin would just add the dye at the factory..

AH
Anvils Hammer
Habit

Next

Return to Dr Polymer