[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - My CNC Router Adventures
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

My CNC Router Adventures

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Re: My CNC Router Adventures

Postby Lane » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:15 pm

Check the price of endmills vs Dremel tool bits. Small Endmills can get a bit expensive and may take a couple weeks to replace, Dremel tool bits OTOH are easy to find.

Do not bother with Carbide endmills for now, you probably do not need it unless you plan on cutting steel, your machine probably could not take the cutting forces that would effectively use a carbide bit.

If you have access to a bench grinder you may also try making your own router/ engraving bits. Even better, mount a Dremel tool to the tool post of your lathe and grind bits there.
Lane
Habit

Postby mangozac » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:39 am

Good tip about the Dremel bits, but after some Googling it seems that they're more expensive than small endmills (in the 2 to 5mm range) from a local supplier! That shouldn't really be surprising - everyone knows Dremel accessories are overpriced.

Even cutting plastic won't the carbide cutters stay sharper longer?

I don't really want to grind my own cutting bits - grinding lathe tools is enough of a pain!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Lane » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:30 pm

Lane
Habit

Postby Bar » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:52 am

Here are the pics of the bits i have at work. Let me know if you want any of them.
They are on a 1cm graded cutting mat.

Bar
Casual

Postby Lane » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:01 am

Any of those should work though I suspect the cutters with a longer spiral, like #3 and #5-9, will work better.
Lane
Habit

Postby mangozac » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:00 am

mangozac

Postby blind pig » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:41 pm

blind pig
Junkie

Postby Lane » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:55 pm

Lane
Habit

Postby mangozac » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:24 am

mangozac

Postby Lane » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:44 pm

Lane
Habit

Postby mangozac » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:21 pm

OK the milling cutters that Bar sent me rocked up this week. Thanks again Bar! They seem pretty nice so it'll be good to start playing with them. The smaller ones are around 2mm diameter, so I'll eventually have to buy some smaller ones.

I did some playing around on the weekend with a .STL file Paulson sent me of one of his Space Hulk tiles. I soon discovered that there's no way the router will be replicating anything even close to the level of detail from 3D printing, as getting cutter sizes small enough is expensive. Plus the machining times would be painfully slow. For doing 3D stuff in the around 1/35 scale we're used to the only real option is bulk shapes (so the basic shape of the model before detailing).

I've hit a bit of a snag though.

Today at work I had a reason to use my router. I needed to reproduce a bunch of tiny printed circuit boards that serve a primarily mechanical purpose joining a connector to a cable. To get them professionally manufactured would have required us to order way more than we needed and would have been overkill, so I figured it would be a good chance to try out the router.

I then proceeded to waste half of my day and what made things worse was that at the end I was no closer to solving the problem :(

The software I use to draw PCBs (and circuit diagrams and anything else electronic related) is called Altium Designer. It's an expensive professional software package for doing that kind of stuff. Part of its functionality is to generate the necessary files for manufacture of the PCBs:
- RS274X Gerber files for the actual PCB layout
- Excellon NC drill files for the holes in the PCB.

Both of these formats are similar to the standard kind of G-code that I need for the router, however they are different enough to be completely incompatible. I tried exporting in .DXF format so that I could run the DXF file through a G-code generator but for some stupid reason the DXF export would not use arcs - it just drew a straight line from the start to the end of the arc.

I tried a bunch of different converters and stuffed around in Altium further but in the end gave up. What a frustrating exercise! How can such common operations as Numerical Control have such varied standards? It's so unproductive!

So I gave up for now. I might go and "code" the part by hand in G-code, but I'll have to learn how to do offsets and everything as well, because I want to produce a couple of dozen of these.

The other option that I'm considering is writing some kind of file converter script to convert the Gerber/excellon formats to standard G-code - they are similar enough that it should be possible to do without any number crunching. But I'm doing way to much writing custom applications lately - it takes a lot of time to do and then adds yet another program you have to maintain...

It's so frustrating to have the machine sitting there but struggling to get the machining data for it!
mangozac

Postby Lane » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:24 pm

Lane
Habit

Postby mangozac » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:52 am

mangozac

Postby blind pig » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:32 pm

Wow, you know?

I didn't understand a single word Zac just said?

:(

:oops:
blind pig
Junkie

Postby Lane » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:13 pm

Lane
Habit

PreviousNext

Return to Dr Polymer