[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - My CNC Router Adventures
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

My CNC Router Adventures

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Re: My CNC Router Adventures

Postby mangozac » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:20 pm

Attachments
Eagle_Inkscape.jpg
Eagle_PyCAM.jpg
Eagle_CNC_USB.jpg
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Lane » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:20 pm

Looks good.

I assume that the orange cone is the tool position that corresponds with the highlighted block of code. That would help explain the multiple short X moves with Y remaining the same. Looks like it is approximating the curve with short steps. A bit odd that Y is only changing by whole numbers but X is fractional though.
Lane
Habit

Postby mangozac » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:57 am

Yeah the orange cone is the tool in the simulation, but I worked out what was going on with the integer increments on the curve linear interpolation: the window is simply cropping the rest of the number to the right of the decimal point!
mangozac

Postby blind pig » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:49 am

blind pig
Junkie

Postby Lane » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:50 am

To be honest CNC programing is not that difficult to learn.

The earlier post was a bit confusing because it combined bits of programing with graphics and circuit design. In general you would be using software to convert a 2D or 3D model into a G code program or writing it by hand.
Lane
Habit

Postby blind pig » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:56 am

blind pig
Junkie

Postby blind pig » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:17 pm

Anyone ever tried this or know about it?

http://www.amazon.com/TurboCAD-CAD-Pro- ... dpp_img_in
blind pig
Junkie

Postby Lane » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:28 am

I know some people swear by TurboCAD, others swear at it. Not sure how this version rates. My concern is that AFAIK TurboCAD has always been a low cost/ hobby grade/ second string CAd package while some of the others are reduced feature versions of pro packages.

For CAD I have both the student version of AutoCAD and Rhino. Both are full feature version. AutoCAD has some restrictions and like tagging files as student version and marks the printouts as such. Rhino has a different strategy, sell at student price and encourage professional use to get more businesses using it.

Another option is http://www.alibre.com/products/hobby/
I have not used it but heard good reviews. The hobby version is reduced feature from a pro package.
Lane
Habit

Postby mangozac » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:40 am

I've heard many references to both TurboCAD and Alibre. My previous assessment of TurboCAD had drawn a similar conclusion as Lane states - it seemed very "budget" grade.

Alibre looks like a pretty professional package but looking at the the "personal edition" might be a little to stripped won. I imagine when doing more artistic stuff like designing our kind of models (rather than designing mechanical engineering models directly from 2D drawings) features like push/pull (which is only available in the pro edition) are almost a necessity.

Although it's a bit of a step up from the $200 personal version, the price of Alibre pro is listed on , which is still $300 cheaper than Rhino. Still, IMO anything above $200-300 is just too much for hobby use. I couldn't even justify the professional version at work as we just don't do enough mechanical CAD to warrant it.
mangozac

Postby Lane » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:42 pm

Rhino has a cheat though. At least in the US there are online retailers that sell the student version, for under $200, that use an automated system to verify student status. As long as you have taken a college course within the last 6-12months at a school that participates in the online verification you can get the student version.
Lane
Habit

Postby Kroko » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:58 pm

Hi

I like reading your advantures.

In latest beta version of I added support for Gerber files. Perhaps you could give it a try.

Converting Gerber to G-code is not easy. Algorithm must create "isolation oulines" from tracks, that were meant for optical plotter. Some Gerber files are so messed up that it is almost impossible and it takes a long time to calculate it. It is not just simple format conversion.

Best regards
Andrej
Kroko
Casual

Postby mangozac » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:40 am

mangozac

Postby Lane » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:13 pm

Lane
Habit

Postby mangozac » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:07 am

Ahh yes the FAQ answers everything and it seems that the educational version would be appropriate.

My only question now is this: from what I have read the parametric modelling of a package like Alibre seems better suited to me than NURBS modelling of Rhino. I do realise that they are completely different aspects (NURBS has nothing to do with parametric and vice versa), but those seem to be the two primary points of the two packages.

I don't need anything that complex, as it's only really 2.5D that I'll ever be machining. I probably just want to draw something in 2D and "extrude" to 3D (then tweak).

Oh and I found a on the Rhino site ;)
mangozac

Postby Kroko » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:56 pm

If you only need 2D then take a look at Vectric Cut2D. It is inexpensive na extemely easy to use.
Kroko
Casual

PreviousNext

Return to Dr Polymer