[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - CNC machining for miniatures
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

CNC machining for miniatures

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Re: CNC machining for miniatures

Postby mangozac » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:37 pm

Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby mangozac » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:48 pm

It's been a while since we were discussing this I know, but I'm back on the CNC path now that I've moved on my Roland machine.

I'm pretty set on the Fireball CNC, but looking at it again today I'm not sure it's totally suitable due to having quite a large footprint. The spoil board measures 16" x 26.5", putting the overall machine size close to around 20x26". Honestly this is a little too big for the desktop operation I'm after. The working area I'm after is maximum of A4 (around 8"x12"), whereas the fireball is 12"x18" working area.

I was looking again at this that is sold by an Australian seller. I just can't help but feel that it is a decent base machine to work from. The repetition accuracy of 0.05mm (2mil) sounds a bit poor though. Can that be improved without major work?

I also ran across on eBay which looks to be a home made job. Dunno if it's worth the $800 they want for it, and I'd have to see some specs first. Then again if they were doing PCBs with it it must be pretty decent resolution and accuracy. Looks like it's got limit switches installed. They've go it listed as pick up only though, so would have to talk them into shipping to QLD (1000 miles or so).

What are your thoughts Lane?
mangozac

Postby NoseGoblin » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:02 am

I have one of these... Still have not plugged it in yet and its been two years ;)

http://www.k2cnc.com/shop/proddetail.as ... -09&cat=26

I purchased a Kress high speed spindle so I can use the micro-bits for the really small areas and a 4th axis to mill a 3d model.

Such a waste. I may have to take the time to get it going...sometime.....
NoseGoblin
Casual

Postby mangozac » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:22 am

Wow that's a shame - it's quite pricey too! I don't suppose you would want to move it on for cheap? ;)
mangozac

Postby Munkey Joe » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:51 pm

Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby Lane » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:11 pm

Lane
Habit

Postby mangozac » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:53 pm

Update: Well I've gone full circle and am back looking at this machine from the Chinese supplier: .

Upon further investigation I decided that it would be worth the cost saving to go directly to the manufacturer. Since I'm planning to install my own electronics (particularly a PlanetCNC USB controller) and higher current drivers I asked for a price without the control box. I was quoted US$400 for the machine, plus US$316 for DHL shipping.

With the current exchange rate US$716 is just under AU$670, seriously not a bad price for the thing. Then again the control box and spindle are only an extra $80, so it's probably worth grabbing them simply to get the thing up and running quickly...
Proper electronics will cost me another ~$250, plus software for $100, bringing the entire machine in well under budget.

I know these Chinese machines aren't perfect, but I'm confident that I will be able to get it working to do exactly what I need without too much hassle. The important specs of the machine are:

Working area: 195x255x45mm
Overall size: 377x450x334mm
Trapezoidal leadscrews with anibacklash nuts
Repeat accuracy: 0.05mm (2mil)
Am I correct in assuming that by using better microstepping drivers higher precision can be achieved?
mangozac

Postby NoseGoblin » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:28 am

NoseGoblin
Casual

Postby NoseGoblin » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:31 am

NoseGoblin
Casual

Postby Lane » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:10 am

Lane
Habit

Postby Lane » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:19 am

Lane
Habit

Postby mangozac » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:42 am

mangozac

Postby Lane » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:14 pm

Lane
Habit

Postby Lane » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:18 pm

Lane
Habit

Postby mangozac » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:17 pm

Well I finally got my Chinese machine ordered and paid for. Should have it within a months time. Can't wait!
mangozac

PreviousNext

Return to Dr Polymer