[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - CNC machining for miniatures
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

CNC machining for miniatures

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Re: CNC machining for miniatures

Postby mangozac » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:30 pm

What router in particular are you looking at right now? I'm thinking if it's the right price I might actually be able to get my EE business to purchase it ;)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby mangozac » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:20 pm

Ran into this website today, which is jam packed with some fantastic information on the subject:

Also, came across this micro CNC mill at not a bad price if you can handle the minimal axes sizes:
mangozac

Postby blind pig » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:44 pm

I've been given access to a CNC Router by Darryl from Stewarts Trophies here in Brisbane.

I have to learn how to do CADD for it (or poke my mate Paul enough to do it for me) to start making the basic shapes for Shuriken Pistols and Catapults.

Being able to cut on a 4th axis would be VERY helpful.

I was looking at something like this:
http://www.probotix.com/syil_cnc_machin ... g_machine/
blind pig
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:17 pm

Wow that Syil machine requires some deep pockets! Quite an impressive piece of kit though ;)

On the opposite end of the spectrum I ran into this:

Pretty decent value if you're willing to take the chance with junk from HK. It wouldn't daunt me too much as I know I'd be adept enough to fix/improve as required, but I can understand others would be less comfortable. The basic machine itself really can't be too bad. The electronics on the other hand do seem a little under powered - for decent speeds you would want larger stepper motors and drivers.

I might email them and ask the shipping cost. I don't imagine 17kg will be particularly cheap to send though...
mangozac

Postby blind pig » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:26 pm

blind pig
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:40 pm

Probably relatively not that bad - it would go in a container by sea...

They had a 4th axis available for the 2520 for a decent price.
mangozac

Postby Munkey Joe » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:31 am

SO this is like a 3d rapid prototype machine???

Pardon my ignorance of these things....
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:26 am

Close, but it's kind of the opposite: rather than adding material to create the shape, a router or mill cuts the material away from a block. You can't get as complex a shape as possible with 3D printing, but you can get a much stronger final product with potentially better resolution and surface finish ;)

In terms of cost a 3D printer to get the resolution for what we want for models is big bucks. The CNC router/mill not so much.
mangozac

Postby Munkey Joe » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:26 am

Oh ok pretty cool!
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby blind pig » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:00 pm

I already have an ABN Mangozac, I just have to pull my finger out and go and find what I want.

I think a CNC router is more appropriate for what I'm doing at the moment, as it is more scenery and reproduction gun stuff. A CNC Router will be about $6K all set-up, whereas a 3D printer would be at least $50K and then I'd have to buy the consumables (which aren't cheap).

Of course, if I did sell a kidney and buy a 3D printer, imagine what you could do with it? I can think of a few WOW players who'd like an Avatar printed up. :lol:
blind pig
Junkie

Postby NoseGoblin » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:59 am

I have a CnC router I'm looking to sell... Just never got around to using it.... or even hooking it up ;)
K2 14X24"bed with 5" Z and 10/20 table top, with Sherline 4th axis and 4 axis Blade Runner controllers with 600oz. microstep motors and a Kress high speed spindle. and Mach3 control software.

I will likely hit eBay with it unless someone here wants it. I have about $3500.00 into it.
NoseGoblin
Casual

Postby Munkey Joe » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:09 am

Humm

If I win powerball tonight ($34M) It will be no problem picking that up Mark..... :mrgreen:
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:37 am

Mark, what kind of stuff did you use it for? Did you machine any model parts in 3D?
mangozac

Postby NoseGoblin » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:38 am

NoseGoblin
Casual

Postby NoseGoblin » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:40 am

NoseGoblin
Casual

PreviousNext