[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - CNC machining for miniatures
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

CNC machining for miniatures

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Re: CNC machining for miniatures

Postby Lane » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:52 am

Lane
Habit

Postby Lane » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:27 am

Something else to consider.

Remember what I said about the R8 tool holders on a mill holding up to .75" shanks?

On a CNC Mill there are tricks that allow you to use it as a Lathe. Limited to fairly short parts under .75" but it can be done.
Lane
Habit

Postby mangozac » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:13 am

Ultimately the most limiting factor of what you can do with a machine is how creative you are with tools and techniques!

I've been in touch with Probotix and we're working out a proper shipping quote using USPS rather than the premium UPS service. If it can be shipped for sub $300 then we might have a winner. The aluminium T-slot deck is an extra $200 (plus I'd say add a fair whack to the shipping cost). Do you think that's reasonable?

Alternately if that doesn't work out I think I'll just pick up the cheapest Chinese machine and replace the spindle and leadscrews for some better precision.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Lane » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:34 am

Good to hear they are working with you. I'm a bit surprised they do not have a freight option listed, given that their smaller machine is near the weight limit of UPS and USPS.

IMHO the Aluminum T-slot table is worth it, even if you order it at a later date.

The MDF table is OK if you want to screw parts direct to table or or use screws instead of bolts to clamp parts. However MDF is not a good material to reuse screw holes. T-slots are much more flexible for work holding.
Lane
Habit

Postby mangozac » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:31 pm

They did have a freight calculator, but apparently USPS recently changed their API and Probotix are you to update their shopping cart system to suit.

Yeah you're right, the T-slot deck is the way to go. Pricey but likely quite worth while.

I just had a look and the motors I have are NEMA17 size. The part number is 17PM-H303-04V. Best I can tell from the Minebea (the manufacturer) website is that they are 1.8° per step, 2 phase low noise. I'll have to check if I have any larger ones around - the Fireball V90 is designed to take NEMA23 size motors.
mangozac

Postby Lane » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:22 pm

You might be better off ordering the drive kit with the V90 or from the link I posted (they have a ready to run drive box w/ 3 motors set). Both include breakout boards so you can connect any extra features you might want. That includes limit & home switches, spindle relay, Digital Readout scales, accessory relays.

What type of spindle are you planning to use?

One advantage of the CNC Router vs. Milling Machine I had not mentioned is tooling. Because of the limited Z travel you can not use a lot of common work holding devices. Yes, the inability to use something is an advantage, because you will not feel the need to buy them. It is not uncommon for owners of mills to have more invested in tooling and fixtures than the machine.

Software:
Do you have CAD software?

CAM software - this is what converts a model from a CAD drawing into G Code. It makes 2D programs easy and is required for anything but simple 3d surfaces.

The V90 has an option for Meshcam software bundled with the machine. At $99 it is a good deal at less than 1/2 of regular price. The version I saw, 3 years ago, lacked a few features I would have liked but then again it was not $3000+.
Lane
Habit

Postby mangozac » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:43 pm

mangozac

Postby Lane » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:55 am

Lane
Habit