[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Resin not curing properly in glass bottle
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Resin not curing properly in glass bottle

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Resin not curing properly in glass bottle

Postby Lefty » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:06 am

Hello!
I recently got into resin casting so I'm fairly new. My latest project is creating a prop from my favorite video game, Fallout. I'm trying to make the prop using resin in a glass coke bottle but I'm having a few issues. The first issue is it not curing correctly at the bottom. It seems to stay liquid while the rest of it cures just fine but I have no idea why. The second issue is the bubbles. No matter what I do, I end up with a small layer of bubbles at the very top that is next to impossible to get rid of. When it finally pops and cures, it makes a really ugly circle around the top and it's really bugging me. Anyone got any advice on how to deal with these issues? I've searched everywhere but nobody else seems to work with resin in glass bottles like this :'D Image
Lefty
Casual

Re: Resin not curing properly in glass bottle

Postby Fleafa » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:46 pm

What kind of resin are you using? Polyester, polyurethane or epoxy?
Avoid introducing bubbles by stirring resin slowly - this is dependent on the gel time/pot life.
Bubbles can be encouraged to leave by vibration - tapping the bottle repeatedly on a hard surface or placing it on a washing machine during spin cycle may help (in a container to prevent it toppling over). Failing those methods, you're looking at a vacuum pump to remove them.

Fleafa
Junkie

Return to Dr Polymer