[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Casting with erasers and superglue???
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Casting with erasers and superglue???

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Casting with erasers and superglue???

Postby Malika » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:31 pm

Somebody over at the Troll Forged forums posted this. Looks pretty interesting from a testing point of view (probably not if you want to do this kinda stuff more seriously...).

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/tutorials ... sting.html
- the place to be for all your bits needs!
Malika
Junkie

Re: Casting with erasers and superglue???

Postby paulson games » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:25 pm

Interesting but super glue isn't cheap, I'd rather press mold stuff with instant mold and greenstuff.

Also having worked with those erasers doing art stuff they don't always keep a smooth surface even when it's pressed flat, so between the baking soda and the eraser texture you may end up getting some rough parts.

Interesting idea but I don't think I'd use it much as there's better options.
paulson games
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Xeones » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:04 am

Yeah, this technique has been around for a very long time. I remember seeing an article in a Finescale Modeler magazine back in the early to mid- ninties where I guy was using superglue to cast teeth for a velociraptor model he was sculpting. I'll admit though that I haven't seen anyone trying to sculpt anything of this volume before. I'm sure it's quite expensive, but then again, for someone who doesn't cast things often and doesn't want to invest in more legitimate casting supplies for a small, one-of project, I suppose there's merit.

I agree with Paulson though, these days, there are better options. The thing that would seem to be problematic to me is that those kneaded erasers would probably easily deform while you're trying to remove the original object. Maybe they address that in the explanation, but I only looked at the pictures from the link you posted. :mrgreen:
Xeones

Postby mangozac » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:44 am

Did you notice how soft the edges were on the reproduced part? It's a pretty poor result and I wouldn't be happy with it. You'd be better off using Instant Mould or the two part silicone putty stuff.

I've used baking soda to reinforce the inside of superglued structures and it does work really well. But using it like this would be a massive headache!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac

Postby RageofAchilles » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:51 pm

My first foray into resin casting many years ago, was with a two part epoxy resin glue ( the double syringe type)

The results were far from perfect and were rather stinky! lol
RageofAchilles
Habit

Return to Dr Polymer