[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Vacuum Degassing Chamber HELP!
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Vacuum Degassing Chamber HELP!

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Vacuum Degassing Chamber HELP!

Postby Galaxy Of Rust » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:16 am

I've been making molds & casting parts for years & have been avoiding vacuum degassing the entire time. But now I'm getting into things that require degassing. I'm making my own action figures. I want to start my own toy or garage kit company/business. I want my items to be very professional looking. But here's my problem, the more I learn about vacuum degassing chambers the more confused I get. Everything I read creates another question.

So how can I learn exactly what I need really fast? I'd like to go out & buy what I need & get moving on this but I'm just as confused as I was 20 or 30 years ago. I've learned a ton about mold making & casting And I'm making fast perfect molds & castings now. But haven't learned crap about vacuum degassing even though I've been reading about it like crazy.

I'm making tiny parts for 10"-12" action figures. Some of the parts have tiny pegs the size of a paper clip. When I pour the resin it won't go into tiny holes like that. I have to push the resin into these tiny holes before pouring the whole piece. I also want to start working with clear resin which needs degassing.

I have absolutely no idea what I need. How much vacuum do I need & what size chamber? Most of my molds are tiny. Can you point me in the right direction? Unfortunately I can't avoid this anymore.
Galaxy Of Rust
Casual

Re: Vacuum Degassing Chamber HELP!

Postby AdamG » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:34 am

Where abouts in the world are you? Only ask as it makes it easier to point you to a local distributor / supplier :)
AdamG
User

Postby Galaxy Of Rust » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:59 am

USA, Tennessee.
Galaxy Of Rust
Casual

Postby mangozac » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:49 am

Hi Galaxy of Rust, welcome to RA!

We've got a few advisory threads on Vacuum and pressure casting here:

Have a read of those and let us know any questions ;)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Galaxy Of Rust » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:30 am

I already read all those threads before I posted.

I just read somewhere else that you need a vacuum degassing chamber for the silicone mold & then a pressure pot for the resin. Forget it! That's way too damn expensive. My parts are already coming out bubble free. And I can work around any problem areas like tiny pegs or posts. I'll just jam the resin in the hole with a paper clip before casting. I'm not going to blow hundreds & hundreds of dollars for ONE tiny bubble. :mrgreen:

I was going to get it so I can work with clear resin but I read that stuff is a pain in the butt to work with anyway. People are having all kinds of problems with clear resin.
Galaxy Of Rust
Casual

Postby mangozac » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:37 pm

If you're getting good results with your room pressure technique then as you say it's certainly not worth forking out for a vacuum/pressure system for personal casting! Note that you can get away with just vacuum; in fact using just vacuum for the resin is better than just pressure (although vacuum and pressure is ideal).

Transparent resins can indeed be a pain - to get best results you really need to post-cure it using a low temperature oven.
mangozac

Postby Galaxy Of Rust » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:11 pm

I'm probably going to have to get a vacuum chamber anyway. The resin won't go into the really tiny parts. I have a part with 4 tiny pegs & it's almost impossible to get the resin to go in. I've tried everything.
Galaxy Of Rust
Casual

Postby pbell0000 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:27 am

I don't think your suppose to use vacuum on the mold right? It'll expand the bubbles that are left after the initial degassing or created by the catalyzing.
pbell0000
Casual

Postby RageofAchilles » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:21 am

RageofAchilles
Habit

Postby pbell0000 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:52 am

My sense on outgassing before pouring is that sometimes you just have to do it if the material is viscous. Its a pain. I recently purchased a 3 cfm vacuum pump from harbor frieght, it was totally inadequate, I think you need a 5 cfm pump or so. I tried to go cheap on the vacuum chamber too and had two implode on me, it's like a bomb going off. Ended up going with an aluminum pot with a thick polycarbonate sheet for the top, high strength stuff, for the chamber. I ended up not having to outgass anyway, so that set up is just sitting on the shelf collecting dirt.
pbell0000
Casual

Postby mangozac » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:10 am

mangozac

Postby Nostok » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:59 pm

Have a read of this thread - it was where I bumbled through vacuum degassing both mould and resin...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1022&p=12966#p12966
Nostok
Casual

Postby Nostok » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:09 pm

this is the bit where I described my set-up... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1022#p12939
Nostok
Casual

Return to Dr Polymer