[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Casting Shoulder Pads.
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Casting Shoulder Pads.

Questions and discussion of tools, materials and techniques.

Moderator: Wardens

Casting Shoulder Pads.

Postby Morgueuk » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:37 am

Hi guys,

I have a question.

Never casted anything before. I have 2 shoulder pads I want to turn into 40 shoulder pads.
What is the best way to do that?
Can it be done at home - (Indoors I don't have a garage), or is it better to find a professional to get the job done?

Thanks

Morgue
Morgueuk
Casual

Re: Casting Shoulder Pads.

Postby mangozac » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:05 am

It can be done at home, but do you have the time and funds to be experimenting with casting? Note that without using vacuum and/or pressure you're not going to get fantastic results.
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Fleafa » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:50 pm

Getting set up to cast them will cost you more than just buying more pads. If it is just a design you want put on to a generic pad shape, try a greenstuff or mould.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Morgueuk » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:04 am

Thanks Guys,

How much does a vacuum/ pressure set up cost out of interest.

I had the schoulder pads commissioned as its for a chapter FW dont cover, so I have the masters in Greenstuff of 1 Assault Marine and 1 Terminator.

Thanks again,
Morgueuk
Casual

Postby Nostok » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:26 am

My "cheap" vacuum rig alone cost about 250-300 GBP. It can be a costly hobby, although appears cheaper in the USA.

Saying that, if you are happy to fill air bubbles etc. a Smooth-on trial pack of Oomoo 25 and Smoothcast 300 will set you back about 50 GBP and you can get reasonable gravity pour results.

http://www.benam.co.uk/products/silicon ... arter-kit/

Make sure you check out the tutorials on this forum and Youtube but do not neglect your basic safety like some of the Muppets you see on there.
Nostok
Casual

Postby Nostok » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:40 am

Nostok
Casual

Postby mangozac » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:19 am

mangozac

Postby Nostok » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:23 am

Are there any worthwhile tutorials on that?
Nostok
Casual

Postby mangozac » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:01 am

I'm sure there are, but it's not something I have interest in (for obvious reasons) so I've not looked :P
mangozac

Postby RageofAchilles » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:15 am

I have used blue stuff before. Its great to make a half mould in a few minutes.
But it can be tricky as the natural oils in your skin will totally retard the curing process, leaving a gungy mess on your sculpt! So wear surgical gloves or mix it with a spatula or something.
RageofAchilles
Habit

Return to Dr Polymer