[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Centurion Mecha
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Centurion Mecha

Discussion of sculpting and scratchbuilding

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Centurion Mecha

Postby mangozac » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:05 pm

Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby mangozac » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:27 pm

OK well you guys won. To be honest I wasn't happy with the way the cockpit was turning out, so as is often required I scrapped the design and started afresh!

I'm now going for a more conventional seating style, but still trying to do the seat itself a little stylised. I've just got a quick shot tonight to show how it's coming together:

That ring around the base is likely to be the actual diameter of the cockpit tube. Cramped, I know, but the pilot wears a VR style headset so doesn't really need that much cockpit space. Controls will be on the front of the seat and tertiary displays around the sides of the tube itself. There will be rungs up one side for entry and egress via the top hatch.

The floor I have some cool plans for including some brass etch mesh which should look great (will do the brass etching on the weekend)!

That's all for now...
mangozac

Postby Vaaish » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:56 am

I like this direction much better :)
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby Xeones » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:44 am

Me too. I liked the idea of the first concept, but it just wasn't looking right. I think this is really the way to go.
Xeones

Postby mangozac » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:29 am

mangozac

Postby Lane » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:32 pm

Lane
Habit

Postby mangozac » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:20 am

It's supposed to be mind controlled rather than conventional hand/foot operation, so in terms of functionality the seat doesn't really matter. It's purely an ergonomic thing...

That photo-etch cockpit is insane! But I can't help wondering if it's really necessary to have that degree of detail?
mangozac

Postby Deadmeat30 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:25 am

is etched brass cheap to have made?

Deadmeat30
Habit

Postby mangozac » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:43 am

I have no idea; I've never priced it from a commercial perspective. If you were ordering like 100 copies I'd say it would be pretty economical.
mangozac

Postby Deadmeat30 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:48 am

dont you do it yourself? could make it an optional extra....

Deadmeat30
Habit

Postby mangozac » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:54 am

It's not economical to hand produce them. Takes far too long.
mangozac

Postby mangozac » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:35 pm

I made a little bit more progress on the pilot's seat, and even did some puttying:

I decided against doing seams on the padding, mainly because practice attempts looks pretty ordinary. I also decided to put some padding behind where the lower legs go, inspired by the leg padding on each side of the centre console in my Z4. Not that the legs would rest on them during normal use, but hey it adds some interest ;)

The footrests will be detailed up with some brass etch. I've also designed a heap of displays, vents and other cockpit bits to be brass etched, but last night's attempt to use the press-n-peel film ended in disaster when the laminator chewed up the film. Oh well I'll have to wait until Monday to print out another copy on the laser printer at work. I've also got some checkerplate and mesh flooring on the sheet to try out.

Next step: start work on the rear wall of the cockpit, which will actually form the rear of the torso. The reson for doing that next is because I'll be dropping off the cockpit in its current format to Wereweevil on Monday for him to continue work on the pilot....
mangozac

Postby blind pig » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:28 pm

cool. 8-)
blind pig
Junkie

Postby Lane » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:38 pm

Lane
Habit