[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Centurion Mecha
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Centurion Mecha

Discussion of sculpting and scratchbuilding

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Centurion Mecha

Postby Arkangel » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:46 pm

Zac looking awesome mate :mrgreen:

I have a request though. Can you post a picture with a '32mm Heroic scale figure' for comparison? :mrgreen:

Having had my files checked by the Oracle that is Dead Meat, looks like my project is just that one step closer to completion.
I'd be interested it taking one of these and modifying with a blister styles cockpit as mentioned in a 'Fluff book' produced by those that shall not be named. Then it would definitely look the part for a knightly house-hold. Couple that with a shield, shoulder mounted gatling cannon or some such and a rather large hammer, sword or mace and you're good to go.

So put simply I'll take 3 mate :lol:
Hey do me a favour, point that thing somewhere else!

http://photobucket.com/Arkangel_bucket
Arkangel
Habit

Postby mangozac » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:25 am

Cheers buddy!

I'll grab a shot with a figure for you next time ;)
What is this "blister" style cockpit? Any referenced online?

I was talking about it with guys over on WargamerAU and doing a shield and sword is a strong likelihood. A spear would be awesome too. Not sure I want to do a gatling cannon (since they're so many parts they're a bitch to cast) but there will be some kind of chunky cannon!

PS I just realised I didn't reply to your txt the other day :(
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Arkangel » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:12 am

Saw this thought of you and this project. Not sure if you'd seen it :lol:

http://sheepsforlornhope.blogspot.co.uk ... wip-3.html

The Mechanicum book by Graham McNeill, part of the Horus Heresy series, has the references I was talking of. The original knight titans are referenced quite well in there.

Arkangel
Habit

Postby mangozac » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:23 am

Cheers for the link Dan but I'm actually very familiar with that project - have been giving Sheep feedback on it over on WargamerAU ;)

Might have to check out the Mechanicum book...
mangozac

Postby Arkangel » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:29 am

Should've checked his bio!! :geek:
Is he a member here?
Be good to cross link the project and get him on board over here.
Aaron's got some skills :o

Oh and I still want 3 :mrgreen:

Arkangel
Habit

Postby mangozac » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:57 pm

No drama mate ;)

He's not a member here, but is very well aware of our forum. He is indeed doing some awesome hobby work!
mangozac

Postby mangozac » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:11 am

It's been a bit of a delay since the last update - things have been pretty insanely busy lately. I have been making some slow progress but only now had a chance to post it.

You can see I'm getting some serious torso work done now. The torso armour is progressing nicely - just needs the rest of the banding done, then I'll add some embellishments and it'll be complete.

I've also started blocking out the rear of the torso. You can see here the basic shape of the reactor which protrudes from the rear. It still has a lot of work to go which will add heaps of visual interest. I should have grabbed a side profile shot to show just how it protrudes. I'll admit that this was a bit inspired by the furnace on the back of Warjack models. The vents shown either side of the reactor are still very much WIP and need to be built up a little around the outside.

This next shot shows the progress on details underneath the torso and with the torso armour removed. Those two rings are the attachment points for the armour. I have a bunch of details lined up to bulk out that area (the stuff that the torso armour will be protecting). Again, still lots of details to add here...

That's pretty much up to date. I'm not planning to finish any particular area first - I just move around as I go/when I'm waiting for putty or glue to cure. Actually, I'll probably get stuck in and putty up the rest of the large gaps around the shoulder cylinders next. That will include the surfaces to which the shoulder armour will attach.

Stay tuned!
mangozac

Postby Blindhorizon » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:46 am

Teach me your shaolin, this thing is going to be a monster! You inspire me with every project you do, your the reason i even tried to scratch build anything. I can't wait to see this completed.

Blind-
Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby Commissar-Krad » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:41 pm

Looking very nice, Zac. I like the shoulders and the chest piece as it comes up to form a gorget around where the head is mounted. Great to see more and more details with each post.
Commissar-Krad
User

Postby mangozac » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:01 pm

mangozac

Postby mangozac » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:49 am

It's been a month since my last update, but fear not the Centurion is still progressing! I've been refining lots of little things and find it hard to find motivation to document the progress when doing that kind of work.

First up, here's the front of the torso. As you can see, the front armour has been completed and received a coat of primer. It still requires some final detailing but the base shape and banding is done. Shoulder pads now mount properly onto the top of the shoulders using locating lugs. You can also see the current progress on the head.

This next shot I threw in just because. It looks a bit empty down between the front armour and the torso, but I have some detail pieces that will be mounting in there to fill it out a little.

Here's a shot of a few of the detail pieces currently under construction. We have the rear reactor, the head, the torso front detail pieces and the exhaust. All pretty self explanatory. The exhaust was originally supposed to be made on my CNC router, but it's out of action at the moment (a dead motor driver has motivated me to build an entire new control system for it) so I did it all by hand and it actually turned out really well. I must be getting pretty good at working styrene? ;)

Finally I've also grabbed a couple of blue-tacked together shots of the entire model. The waist piece was replaced with a glob of blue-tack so the torso is sitting a bit lower than it should, but you get the idea. There's still a lot of fill-in and detailing work to go, but it is progressing nicely!

No big plans for the next step other than to keep progressing on all of these little details. I'm currently working on the neck and detailing that area. I'll try to post some more frequent updates...

As always, thanks for reading!
mangozac

Postby Blindhorizon » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:59 pm

Dude this thing looks freaking epic man!
Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby Fleafa » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:33 pm

Love it! Has a real lumbering gait in the assembled photo :)

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby Malika » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:59 pm

Man...can't wait to see this thing compete, and hopefully in production! :D
- the place to be for all your bits needs!
Malika
Junkie

Postby Blindhorizon » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:56 am

Man the amount of detail all over this thing is amazing, i one day want to be able to do something this awesome.
Blindhorizon
Habit

PreviousNext

Return to Sculpting and Scratchbuilding