[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Centurion Mecha
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Centurion Mecha

Discussion of sculpting and scratchbuilding

Moderator: Wardens

Re: Centurion Mecha

Postby Blindhorizon » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:43 am

The changes to the centurion look fantastic, im diggin the changes. what clay do you used for your modeling? And is it suitable for making molds also?
Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby mangozac » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:41 pm

Thanks Blind I've just started cutting out some styrene for the amour and I'm really pleased with it too (the clay is just used for roughing out shapes - the actual parts will be made from styrene sheet)!

The clay is just standard, firm, sulphur-free oil based clay in a tan colour. I use the same stuff when making moulds. I don't know if art stores sell it, but casting and effects shops definitely do!
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Vaaish » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:48 pm

that works much better.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby Xeones » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:34 pm

Agreed. This is definitely a better direction.
Xeones

Postby Fleafa » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:56 am

Yup, much better.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:49 am

Thanks guys! I'm getting a massively positive response to it so I must be doing something right! ;)
mangozac

Postby mangozac » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:28 am

A quick morning update to show the progress on the new torso armour. I'm really pleased with how it's coming together! It still needs a lot of refinement, then some detailing passes. It will receive banding in the same style as the rest of the armour, and I've got some ideas for cool details to add, like the vents on the thigh and foot armour plates (but in this case not vents).

The area under the armour plate will be fully detailed as well and I have only just started on the details behind the head.

mangozac

Postby Malika » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:30 pm

I really love the design! Is this for an existing setting/background/game?
Malika
Junkie

Postby Blindhorizon » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:43 pm

This thing is going to be a beast, centurion is one of my favorite mechs, i love your vision of it.
Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby mangozac » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:03 pm

mangozac

Postby Islacrusez » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:29 am

This has been a long read! Looking mighty fine, to be sure.

I'd like to add my thoughts to the hatch cover interior - a minor detail: the rods that should extend and lock the hatch in place go from the centre of the mechanism, and really they should all be offset the same amount in the same amount due to the nature of how it works. A quick look at the tank reference will explain ^^

With the new torso armour you've designed, it might be worth adding additional armour plate to the "head", perhaps making it look a little more like d0g, or a welder's mask like a square shield. Basically something to protect that bullet-trap and bullet-magnet neck area. After all, that's the thinnest point on the entire thing to get to the pilot/driver, and equally important, a high-explosive shell to the neck could leave your entire mech blind (especially since the driver has no direct visual contact with the outside world.

I'd also like to mention the tie-down hooks from earlier. Agreed on the sentiment that such things should be connected directly to a load-bearing piece rather than something attached to one. As for an alternative, inspiration could be taken from one of the new tanks, which has chains hanging down from the turret to prevent HE impacts to the bullet trap that is the rotation mechanism. Perhaps the same could be added to the ankles or even just above the waist? Of course, one might have to source chains per model, as no way to cast those and retain their properties, especially since you allow variable poses.

I'm also curious, with the access hatch at the top, will there be ladder rungs or small steps leading up the side or back, to access the top of the mech without use of a gantry? A small grease-gun style weapon might also deserve a place on the wall of the cockpit, should the worst happen?
Islacrusez
Habit

Postby mangozac » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:50 am

mangozac

Postby TredHed » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:30 am

All I have to say is WOW. I ran across this project by accident, heck I cant remember how at the moment, but this makes me want several of them to run as a Knight House or some such.
I look forward to this making it to a public release.
TredHed
Casual

Postby Commissar-Krad » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:44 am

Looking pretty nice, Zac! Keep it up.
Commissar-Krad
User

Postby mangozac » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:53 am

mangozac