[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - Zeus Weapons Modules
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Zeus Weapons Modules

Discussion of sculpting and scratchbuilding

Moderator: Wardens

Zeus Weapons Modules

Postby mangozac » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:47 pm

So for a while now I've been promising some people that I'll complete the set of Zeus weapons modules. Truth be told I made a start on these before I went to Europe in mid-2014, but it's only over the 2014 Christmas break that I got around to finishing them.

Overall I'm pleased - I think I've managed to fit the Zeus aesthetic appropriately. I went for something different with the ball turrets, although I think the barrels may be a little too long - I might shorten them for the production versions...

Here's what they look like fitted to a Zeus Light Cruiser:

I'll make some production moulds and cast up a heap of them soon. Keep an eye out on the for the announcement of when they're available for purchase ;)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Re: Zeus Weapons Modules

Postby Malika » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:05 pm

Really digging the ball turrets, definitely something different, which is quite nice I think!

By the way, would these parts be compatible with the Battlegroup Helios stuff?
- the place to be for all your bits needs!
Malika
Junkie

Postby Fleafa » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:37 am

Nice work!
Purely a matter of taste, but I'm not a big fan of the tri-barrels. Love the ball-mount.

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby horizon » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:51 am

The bal joint is cool. The barrels way to long. Looks awkward in my humble opinion.

And the weapon modules are interchangeable between Helios, Zeus and BFG imperial vessels.
horizon
User

Postby RageofAchilles » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:56 am

It's funny seeing everyones differing opinions ;) Goes to show how difficult it is for sculptors to predict the market.

However for myself and I say this as someone who has never liked the BFG Aesthetic. I really like the modules! I had thought of using ball mounted weapons on ships before but had been uncertain of the outcome. Having seen the tri barrels on the Zeus cruiser , I think they are great. Also don't shorten the barrels , punters can always file them down to nubs if they like ;)

I would be tempted to have some ball mounted cannon pointing downwards from under the hull, ready for planetary bombardment!

Nicely done Zac :)
RageofAchilles
Habit

Postby mangozac » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:52 am

Thanks, I appreciate all of the feedback - especially from you guys!

Malika, yes these are 100% compatible with Battlegroup Helios and BFG.

Fleafa: would you have preferred a different number of barrels?

RageOfAchilles: I can tell exactly why you like these. They have a very utilitarian vibe going on ;)

The barrels were machined from brass rod on a lathe and once parted off it was very difficult to adjust their length (they were shortened from the original length). Despite RageOfAchilles' suggestion I think I will shorten them by a millimetre (at the base, not the tips as there is machined detail there).

It's a bit late now but it probably would have looked better if the balls were larger. Unfortunately I kind of did things backwards and should have made the module to fit the balls...
mangozac

Postby horizon » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:38 am

The fickle nature of modelling that is I guess. ;)
horizon
User

Postby Seb » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:05 am

Looking good and I believe I fall into the Utilitarian group of design admiration. :lol:
Seb

Postby Commissar-Krad » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:24 pm

Very nice. The ball turrets are awesome.
Commissar-Krad
User

Postby Fleafa » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:07 pm

Fleafa
Junkie

Postby harkovast » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:28 am

These things are so popular, people are starting topics about them all over the place.
When I heard round turrets I had a hard time visualising, but now I see them they are really awesome.
It's a really unique, which is what I want from a new design of weapon.
I have a webcomic!
harkovast
User

Postby mangozac » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:00 am

mangozac

Postby harkovast » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:38 pm

They need to learn to be chilled out and play it cool like I do.
8-)
I have a webcomic!
harkovast
User

Postby Blindhorizon » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:32 pm

Man those round turrets are freaking cool man, the execution is awesome. I would have never thought of that. As always you inspire me to keep scratch building.
Blindhorizon
Habit

Postby mangozac » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:18 pm

Cheers Blind! Always makes me feel warm and fuzzy when I hear that I've inspired others :)
mangozac

Next

Return to Sculpting and Scratchbuilding