ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

Vaaish's BFG stuff

A gallery for completed projects only. Please share yours.

Moderator: Wardens

Vaaish's BFG stuff

Postby Vaaish » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:41 am

Hey look, I created another thread in solitary! Actually this is to showcase the zeus prows that Zac was so kind as to send up for me to paint for him. They also mark a departure from my normal BFG schemes, enjoy!

I'll add in the nameplates after the models are sealed.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Re: Vaaish's BFG stuff

Postby mangozac » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:57 am

WOW. Gobsmackingly wow! I think that is some of the best BFG painting I've seen yet. The way that you've sectioned the colours is great, but the most amazing part is the gold. I normally hate it when people paint bits of their BFG ships gold, but this looks so believable. Even the nav lights look like they're actually glowing.

The most beautiful detail though is the accent lines on the side of the prow. Simply stunning!

When I get back into some BFG painting soon I'll definitely be hassling you for some advice ;)
Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby Vaaish » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:20 pm

Glad you like it zac! If you need high res pics I have the original files I can shoot over to you.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby Yannoo » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:50 pm

Pretty nice stuff indeed !
Yannoo
Casual

Postby Warhound » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:16 pm

Colour me impressed!;-)

Looks very nice- especially seeing how quick this project was picked up and turned around! Nice work my man!

cheers
WARHOUND
My work: http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa19 ... und_photo/
My winners: http://demonwinner.free.fr/peintre.php?id_peintre=274
Superglue runs through my veins- what have you ever done for society?
Warhound

Postby Vaaish » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:24 pm

hey look, more BFG! Just a quick commission strike cruiser for the epic army I've been working on. There is a bit more contrast in life so I guess one day I'll stop trying to play with the photo settings when taking these small models.

-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:47 pm

Great as always, however I do feel that the weathering is a bit in the wrong scale. Am I correct that you've simply used the same technique as on the Epic minis? Whilst it looks good, I feel that it upsets the scale of the ship. I think the areas of worn off paint should be either smaller, and/or more geometric in shape (as if a whole panel of plating had been replaced on not yet repainted).

Probably not so bad unless it's placed up against the epic minis themselves...
mangozac

Postby Vaaish » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:31 pm

I used a sponging technique for this one rather than the usual brush technique because it allows me to get a finer and more varied look that looks a bit more like the paint has baked off over the ages from uv exposure rather than scratched off.

Oddly enough, I weathered it this way to match the feel of the epic models I've already done so it looks cohesive on the field. Technically most of the weathering would be nearly invisible because of the massive size of the ship where whole panels would be about the size of a pin prick on the surface. That's why you don't see me weathering my ships under most circumstances.
-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:35 pm

Yeah that does make sense. As I said, it just makes the scale feel odd to me. The cohesion is important though.
mangozac

Postby Vaaish » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:15 pm

Well I'm done with these except for sealing them tomorrow night although I may paint in the windows slit on top since it seems to stand out more than I had expected and change the side gold dots on the bridge to green. Seeing them next to the original armageddon cruisers I did makes me think I may need to dull out the gold a bit in the recesses. These are brown to match the typical color of my cruisers. I've included a family shot.

-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:43 am

Beautiful. There's really not any other words to describe it! I certainly have no criticisms to give because everything about the painting is perfect. The models themselves aren't too bad either :lol:

Seriously top notch work and personally for me such a rewarding end to a project. It always if when I have a good painter lined up to do my models justice!

After spending some time with them what are your thoughts now with regards to the sleek vs blunt prows?
mangozac

Postby Vaaish » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:48 pm

Thanks zac! I do have a small update today on them since I wasn't entirely happy, I've added in the adjustments to the bridge and underside. I think this helps balance things better. On the sleek prow... I think it could have used with more detail under the eagle head similar to the blunt one. As it is now there are a couple of weird shapes created by that bit and the sweep of the wings. I think that the sleek prow works great with just the turret up front. The blunt prow is alright, actually much better for lance battery versions since the edge angle lines up nicely. the under bit that hangs down isn't quite as visable as I thought it might be. On the blunt prow, I think that the turret/antenna slot is awkward. I tried putting a turret in there and it looked to heavy on the front and an antenna looked ungainly up there. It worked out best with nothing in the hole though a short antenna light nub like on the bottom would work.

-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:30 pm

I agree just the turret by itself on the sleek prow does look good. I just liked giving the option of the mast. In terms of the moulds, short masts are much better to do as holes leave a thin fragile piece of silicone that tends to break off about halfway through the mould's lifespan.

They look great in the group shot - it really inspires to paint up a couple of my own!
mangozac

Postby Vaaish » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:35 am

Hey look, more BFG! surely I can't be the only one finishing up painting models, c'mon people! :P Time for another update. This time I'm finishing up a battlebarge. I tried to pull back on the weathering a bit this time around since the ship is supposed to be so massive. In any event, this completes the space component of the IF force for Cal. I've never really though the model was all that nice from the photos I'd seen of it, but after working on it I've got to say it has much nicer lines than I first thought. Just a few odd bits I might change should I ever convert one. I'm also including a group shot with the strike cruiser.

Enjoy. Next up, necrons or IF thunderpidgeons :)

-Vaaish
Vaaish
Junkie

Postby mangozac » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:50 pm

Superb job, as always. I think you've hit the weathering spot on on this one, and the shading has worked quite well. You know I think many of the BFG designs are like what you describe: it's tough to get a really good feel for them from photos. I know when I finally got my mitts on some ships I was pleasantly surprised with many aspects of the design that can only be appreciated in 3D.

Actually, I think it's a similar thing with many aesthetic designs, like cars for example. As much as I always loved the design of the Z4, I always found it hard to find pictures that do it justice. Looking at the car in person just makes the design feel flawless.

Y'know, the yellow scheme on these marine ships works really well. It contrasts nicely with the metallic components (guns, engines) and as I said before the shading you've used in brown tones is great.

As you know, my past few weeks have been pretty insane. Hopefully I'll get into some painting in the next fortnight.
mangozac

Next

Return to Solitary (Vaaish & Others Paint Stuff)