[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Resin Addict Forum • View topic - From rocks to resin - a journey in learning to cast.
ATTENTION: As of March 2017 the Resin Addict Forums are being wound down.
New members are no longer being accepted. Read more about it here.

From rocks to resin - a journey in learning to cast.

Discussion of modelling

Moderator: Wardens

From rocks to resin - a journey in learning to cast.

Postby Barn » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:45 pm

Well its time to kick on with the reason im here!

It's worth noting before I start, that I am still a fair while off making actually purchasing casting supplies. I would think probably atleast a month. So why am I starting then?

It's said Eve Online doesnt have a learning curve, it has a learning cliff. In alot of ways, im finding this fits casting as well. When I started exploring what I want to do, I felt alot like the guy with a bit of over the top sci-fi thrown in.

Me: Gee, I think I want to get into casting!
Random guide: Cool, do you want to use propolapalane, fedophelinine, silcostasisictistic, vacuum, preasure, hard, soft, rubber. Is it a one off, multi-cast, short cure, cold cure, fine detail with an extra dollup?
Me: Ummm I just want to cast some stuff?

One thing that makes it a little harder, is I live a good 2 hours away from any sort of Supply store. I know I could call some and ask questions, but i'd prefer to go armed with a little knowledge first. I also need to be as frugal as I can. While I dont want to sacrafice quality, I would like to shop around a bit.

So I thought i'd start a bit of a diary and explain what i'm working on and what i'd like to achieve. Hopfully you can help me work out this cliff!

As i've mentioned else where, my plan is to start with making some bases. A close gaming friend has just ordered 1500 points worth of Dark Elder, so my plan is to make up 10 bases for him. I would like to make a mold of these, and cast up 100+ bases.

So first question!

1. Is there anything I shouldnt use when making these 'master' bases? I plan on using a mix of things, mostly foamcore board, greenstuff and bits of plastic/metal.

I look forward to sharing the journey, and gathering as much knowledge as i can along the way!
Barn
User

Re: From rocks to resin - a journey in learning to cast.

Postby mangozac » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:27 pm

Oh yeah I can make that....
mangozac
Resin Addict Collaborator

Postby blind pig » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:35 pm

blind pig
Junkie

Postby Barn » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:29 am

Barn
User

Postby mangozac » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:40 am

mangozac

Postby blind pig » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:11 pm

blind pig
Junkie

Postby Munkey Joe » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:34 pm

I would like to say something...... But the others have beaten me to the punch. I agree with all said above.

For bases I use the econobases () for a platform. they are cheap, sturdy, and ALWAYS the same size. Im sure you can find these in AU or just go to your local hardware store and get a circle cutter for cheap and make your own.

Or ask Pig, Im sure she has a "lazor cutta" at her home.... ;)

Beware of undercuts and such as these will ruin your day Buut im sure your research has told you this already....
Bartertown Trades:
EBay feedback:
My FAIL Forums:
Munkey Joe
Junkie

Postby blind pig » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:38 pm

blind pig
Junkie

Postby Barn » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:40 am

Barn
User

Postby mangozac » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:22 am

Do you mean "if I make up a mould, how long will the silicone take to set?"?

If so then it depends on the silicone. Pinkysil only half hour (but leave a few hours before casting). Ultrasil more like 12 hours (and 24 hours before casting). From discussing with my supplier he says that the longer you can wait between making the mould and pouring resin into it the longer the lifespan of the mould will be.

Do you have a link to the flood appeal auction discussion? I might put up some of my resin kits...

Edit: Never mind, I found it! I'm actually thinking of auctioning off a SAW kit. You you guys reckon that's a worth while thing to do?
mangozac

Postby blind pig » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:23 am

blind pig
Junkie

Postby Barn » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:37 am

Barn
User

Postby mangozac » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:47 pm

mangozac

Postby Barn » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:27 pm

Yeah Saturday is shaping up to be a crazy day. Planning on driving to Barnes in the city, before heading over to Arcanacon to check out the armies at lunchtime, then back home to play a game of Apoc into the night as part of 'The Big Game'.

I'll post a couple pics real soon of the bases i want to cast, and ask for some help writing my Barnes shopping list!
Barn
User

Postby blind pig » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:45 pm

blind pig
Junkie

Next

Return to Modelling